Vermillion Highlands is a modified wildlife management area (WMA), defined by a unique joint management effort, including representation from the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), University of Minnesota, and Dakota County, in order that research, recreation, and wildlife management activities can take place simultaneously on the property. Vermillion Highlands, the state's first and only modified WMA, offers a variety of hunting activities throughout the year. Permitted trapping, archery and firearms hunting provide for responsible management of turkey, deer, pheasant, goose, coyote, raccoon and other animals.
Wildlife management activities at Vermillion Highlands are administered by the Minnesota DNR. Please contact the DNR area manager at 651-322-4643 with questions or to learn more about hunting at Vermillion Highlands.
For additional details on the season start and end dates and required licenses and permits, visit the Vermillion Highlands page on the DNR Web site.
For spring 2020, hunting dates are:
- April 15 - May 31, 2020: Turkey Hunting
For fall 2020, hunting dates are:
- September 9 – October 30, 2020: Archery Deer Hunting (Whole Area)
- November 7 – November 20, 2020: Firearms Deer Hunting (Southern two sections, basically south of interior parking lot on Blaine)
- November 28 – December 13, 2020: Muzzleloader Deer Hunting (Southern two sections, basically south of interior parking lot on Blaine)
- December 14 – December 31, 2020: Archery Deer Hunting (Whole Area)
View the DNR Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook paying special attention to the regulations pertaining to the Public Lands and Wildlife Refuges section.